English Rosters for the 2018 CPBL Season
- Lamigo Monkeys 2018 English Roster
- Uni-President 7-Eleven Lions 2018 English Roster
- Chinatrust Brothers 2018 English Roster
- Fubon Guardians 2018 English Roster
Useful Blog Posts for the 2018 CPBL Season
- Quick Guide to 2018 CPBL Season
- 2018 Streaming Guide
- Latest CPBL Foreign Players Updates
- 2018 CPBL Foreign Players Tracker
- English Guide: How to Purchase CPBL TV
- English Guide: How to Read CPBL Schedule
- Where to buy CPBL Teams Merchandise
CPBL Brief History
CPBL was established in 1990 with a four teams structure, after several expansions in 1997 Taiwan reached record high of 11 active teams. However, due to a string of game-fixing scandals, the CPBL is now reduced down to four teams since 2009.
Regular Season Structure
Each team plays 120 games with 60 games each in the first and second-half season. The half-season winner is eligible to advance to post-season.
Post-Season: Best-of-Five (Wild Card)
- If a non-half-season winner team have the highest overall winning percentage than any other half-season winner, then this team gains a wild card status and is eligible to play in the Playoff Series against the half-season winner with lower winner percentage.
- If the same team clinches both first- and second-half seasons, then the Playoff Series would be staged for teams with overall second and third winning percentage.
- The winning team will advance to the Taiwan Series.
Taiwan Series: Best-of-Seven
The winner of each half-season will play a best-of-seven series in the Taiwan Series. If the same team clinches both first and second-half seasons, then this team is awarded with one win to start the Taiwan Series and will play against the winner from the wild card series.
First Team Roster
Each team is allowed to carry a 26-man active roster including foreign players. Each team is allowed to register three foreign players on their active roster and play two simultaneously on the field.
The CPBL draft is held in the middle of the season for amateur players as well as military reserve players. Upon drafting the players, the team will have up to the August 31st to sign them.
August 31st is the trade deadline and the last day to register foreign players for the remaining of the season. Local players acquired after the trade deadline through waiver are not eligible to play in the post-season games.
The FA system was implemented in the 2010 season. Players with nine years of service will be granted free agency. Players with three years of service will be granted with the international free agency status with the consent of the player’s club.