Trouble at the Brothers camp? According to the local media, as the team is preparing for the upcoming Playoff Series against the Uni-Lions. Five of the Chinatrust Brothers veterans were not invited to train with the team, instead they were told that their season is over.
Among those five are the heart of the Brothers lineup 林智勝 (Lin Chih-Sheng) & 蔣智賢 (Chiang Chih-Hsien). Lin tied for 1st in home runs last year, while Chiang hits over .400 in batting average and lead the league with 163 wRC+.
The question everyone is asking. What’s wrong? What have they done? Why do this when it is a week away from the 2017 postseason?
— CPBL STATS (@GOCPBL) October 13, 2017
Official Response from Chinatrust Brothers
Earlier today, Chinatrust Brothers have issued a press release saying the organisation is fully backing the new overall direction from manager Cory Snyder. The team is shifting their focus to “Speed” and “Defense”. And they will use farm team players to replace the five veterans in the postseason.
At the same time, the team reiterate on “Team” and “Discipline” as the core value and the organisation culture they wish to have going forward.
“Well, they were on the team last years, but we still didn’t win the Taiwan Series” Said Brothers GM when asked about not bring the five veterans into the 2017 postseason.
Benched for Disciplinary Reasons?
Since the start of 2017 season, there have been plenty of reports on frictions between players and the coaching team lead by Cory Snyder. Many speculates this benching move by the organisation might have something to do with it.
There’s also rumours of multiple players involved in alleged infidelity scandals. Originally, the tabloid magazine was going to report it, but Chinatrust Financials was able to buried the story.
Other Rumours and Speculations
- The benching of the players partly got something to do with their agency. As the team felt they’ve been treated like a cash cow by player’s representative during contract negotiation.
- A certain player had a long history of going against the coaching team. He was trying to pull the same trick but it backfired.
- A certain player reportedly did not get along with Cory Snyder during his time in the Seattle Mariners minor league system.
- Multiple players were caught having extramarital affairs. The organisation was able to buried the story.
- Possible of trading a high profile player to another team at the end of the season.
- Veterans got something to do with the firing of their previous GM 楊培宏 (Yang Pei-Hung).
- Veterans does not want to practice and stick with the schedule set by the management team. Also clashing several times with the coaching staff.
- The whole anti-coaching movement got something to do with the firing of their last skipper 吳復連 (Wu Fu-Lien).
$100,000 USD per month bench warmers
- 林智勝 (Lin Chih-Sheng) – One of the most iconic hitter in CPBL history. Tied for 1st place in home run last season. Signed as a free agent by Chinatrust Brothers.
- 蔣智賢 (Chiang Chih-Hsien) – Former Red Sox / Mariners Triple-A farm hand. Hits over .400 in batting average and lead the league in overall wRC+.
- 鄭達鴻 (Cheng Ta-Hung) – Just like Lin, another major off-season free agent signed by the Brothers. Known to be a offensive catcher during his time with the EDA Rhinos.
- 王勝偉 (Wang Seng-Wei) – The backbone of Chinatrust defense, has been as Brothers primary short stop for years. Multiple gold gloves winner.
- 張正偉 (Chang Cheng-Wei) – Former hit and batting champion. Usually bat in the lead off spot and known to be a catalyst for Brothers offense.