Foreign players updates Vol#19
As previously reported, Lamigo Monkeys have officially announced the signing of the former Lamigo Monkeys veteran RHP Ken Ray today. This will be Ray’s 5th times in his career playing for the Lamigo Monkeys.
Ray first joined La New Bear (Lamigo Monkeys) back in 2010 posted a dominating record of 2.32 ERA, 1.24 WHIP over 162.2 IP. Over the years Ray has quickly become one of favourites player amongst Lamigo Monkeys fans. In 2011 Ray helped the Monkeys winning 2nd half season title by throwing a 1H, 9K shutout game against Brother Elephants.
With the signing of Zack Segovia, Darin Downs & Zeke Spruill. Which means the 42-year-old baseball veteran will most likely to be the 4th back up foreign pitcher.
“Very excited to return to Taiwan once again. This could be my final season, would love to help Lamigo Monkeys to win the Taiwan Series” Said Ken Ray in the interview with the Taiwanese media.
When asked about Ray’s signing. Monkeys manager 洪一中 (Hong I-Chung) have said we still stay in touch with each other, even after Ray left CPBL to play for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan. I am hoping to see Ray take on the leadership role for the foreign players and also act like the bridge between them and the management team.
Ken Ray’s CPBL Stats
Fubon Guardians foreign players
- Mike Loree – The RHP is the triple crowns winner in 2015. Loree had another strong season in 2016 with 3.98 ERA, 1.35 WHIP over 190 innings. This is his 5th seasons in CPBL.
- Scott Richmond – Canadian Premier 12 / WBC RHP. Pitched 2008 to 2012 for the Blue Jays. 2013 for the Lotte Giants in KBO. 2014 to 2015 for the Rangers in the AAA system. Spent his 2016 season with EDA Rhinos in CPBL with the record of 4.78 ERA, 1.43 WHP over 152.2 innings.
- Chris Seddon – Former Lamigo Monkeys LHP’s contract was purchased by SK Wyverns (KBO) in mid-season 2015. Seddon had a extensive experiences in various professional leagues around the world with 3 seasons in the MLB, 3 in KBO, 1 in NPB and CPBL.
Uni-President Lions foreign players
- Bruce Billings – 2 years of MLB experience. Spent the entire 2015 season in AAA with 8W, 5L, ERA 3.63. Billings joined Uni-Lions in 2016 with the record of 5.28 ERA, 1.64 WHIP over 170.1 IP while led the league in strikeouts (172).
- Alfredo Figaro – 32-year-old Dominican has 4 years MLB experiences with the record of 5.04 ERA, 1.42 WHIP over 114.1 innings. Figaro also had 2 season in the NPB and 1 season win the KBO prior signing with Uni-Lions.
- Mike DeMark – 33-year-old spent majority of his career in the Padres/ Diamondbacks system peaking at AAA level. He spent 2016 season in the Atlantic League with impressive record of 35 Saves, 0.76 ERA, 0.69 WHIP over 47.2 innings. DeMark will take on the closer role for the Uni-Lions in the 2017 season.
Lamigo Monkeys foreign players
- Zack Segovia – 34 year old RHP played for the Lions back in 2015 with 6.16 ERA over 30.2 Innings as relief pitcher. Later that year he represented the USA national team in Premier12 tournament. Prior to his signing with the Monkeys, he spent early half of his 2016 season in the Mexican League with the result of 2.97 ERA, 1.22 WHIP over 39.1 IP. The Monkeys activated Segovia at the end of August 2016. Segovia finished the season with 4.11 ERA, 1.22 WHIP over 46 innings.
- Darin Downs – 32 year LHP, with 3 years of MLB experience as RP with combined records of 4.76 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 84 SO, 39 BB over 90.2 Innings. Downs was signed by Uni-Lions in 2016 where he went 6.75 ERA, 1.85 WHIP over 52 innings. There’s rumour that Monkeys was going to sign Downs in 2016 but lost the contract to Lions.
- Zeke Spruill – 27-year-old RHP was the 2nd round pick in 2008 by the Braves. He spent 2013~2014 season with the Diamondbacks with the record of 4.24 ERA, 1.55 WHIP over 34 innings. In 2016, Spruill pitched for the KIA Tigers in South Korea with 5.27 ERA, 1.68 WHIP over 152 innings.
- Ken Ray – 42-year-old RHP has returned to Lamigo Monkeys for the 5th times in his career. Ray has won the ERA title back in 2011. And posted a record of 2.17 ERA, 1.20 WHIP over 103.2 inning in 2014.
Chinatrust Brothers foreign players
- Bryan Woodall – This will be Woodall’s 3rd season with the Brothers. The RHP previously pitched for Brothers in 2015 season with 3.45 ERA, 1.30 WHIP over 73 IP. In 2016 he posted a record of 3.93 ERA, 1.29 WHIP over 89.1 innings.
- Nick Additon – 28-year old LHP was drafted by Cardinals back in 2006. Prior coming to Taiwan, Additon was pitching for the Orioles AAA team as a SP with 13 starts under his belt this year with the records of 3.81ERA, 1.357WHIP, 50K, 25BB over 80IP. In 2016 Additon went 4.30 ERA, 1.46 WHIP over 37.2 innings with the Brothers.
- Bruce Kern – 28-year old RHP was drafted by the Rockies in 2010 made it to high A within the organisation back in 2014. He was signed out of Atlantic League with the 2016 records of 4W, 1L, 2.17ERA, 1.25WHIP over 62.1 innings. Kern was released by the Brother after 2 starts. Where he left with the record of 11.37 ERA, 2.21 WHIP over 6.1 innings.
Kyle Simon – The RHP was drafted by the Orioles in 2011. Simon spent his 2016 in the Atlantic League with 2.77 ERA, 1.13 WHIP over 120.1 innings. Simon was released by Brothers merely a day after his signing after the media found out Simon hasn’t finish serving his 50-games suspension issued by the MLB.