Foreign players updates Volume #25
Uni-Lions GM has told the media the team is at the final stage of signing 2 new foreign pitchers. One of them will have previous experience in Asia (NPB or KBO).
There are some speculations the new pitchers could be former Yankees Jonathan Albaladejo, who spent 2011 season in Japan with Yomiuri Giants. The former KBO KT Wiz Josh Lowey is also on the potential candidate list as well.
With Alfredo Figaro and Bruce Billings unable to go distance whenever they’re on the mound, that is the main reason why Lions are in the market for new foreign pitchers, said the Uni-Lions manager. Despite having solid number, Uni-Lions closer Mike DeMark is also not safe simply due to his role within the organisation. As traditionally speaking, CPBL teams would prefer to have a foreign starting pitcher rather than a reliever.
Quick stats on Uni-Lions foreign pitchers
- Alfredo Figaro (6.25 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 44.2 IP) – Only able to go more than 5 innings 3 out 8 starts. Skipper Huang mentioned in a interview that Figaro will most likely to be send down to farm team or be move to the bullpen if he doesn’t not improve.
- Bruce Billings (5.68 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, 38 IP) – Only able to go more than 5 innings 3 out 7 starts. Skipper Huang said on the 7th May that Billings is currently on thin ice, since he does not have the fastball advantage like Alfredo Figaro.
- Mike DeMark (2.35 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, 15.1 IP) – A closer, better off getting a new starters to ease the stress of the Lions bullpen?
Monkeys 4th backup foreign pitched Ken Ray pitched a 5 shutout innings game with no hit and 4 strikeouts in a farm league game against the Uni-Lions. This is the first quality start in the farm league for the 42-year-old global baseball veteran. Ken Ray’s current farm league stats is 5.09 ERA, 1.53 WHIP over 17.2 IP.
Fubon Guardians foreign players
- Mike Loree – The RHP is the triple crowns winner in 2015. Loree had another strong season in 2016 with 3.98 ERA, 1.35 WHIP over 190 innings. This is his 5th seasons in CPBL.
- Scott Richmond – Canadian Premier 12 / WBC RHP. Pitched 2008 to 2012 for the Blue Jays. 2013 for the Lotte Giants in KBO. 2014 to 2015 for the Rangers in the AAA system. Spent his 2016 season with EDA Rhinos in CPBL with the record of 4.78 ERA, 1.43 WHP over 152.2 innings.
- Chris Seddon – Former Lamigo Monkeys LHP’s contract was purchased by SK Wyverns (KBO) in mid-season 2015. Seddon had a extensive experiences in various professional leagues around the world with 3 seasons in the MLB, 3 in KBO, 1 in NPB and CPBL.
- Scott McGregor – 30-year-old RHP spent his 2016 season with the Nexen Heroes in the KBO with 5.20 ERA, 1.42 WHIP over 90 innings.
Uni-President Lions foreign players
- Bruce Billings – 2 years of MLB experience. Spent the entire 2015 season in AAA with 8W, 5L, ERA 3.63. Billings joined Uni-Lions in 2016 with the record of 5.28 ERA, 1.64 WHIP over 170.1 IP while led the league in strikeouts (172).
- Alfredo Figaro – 32-year-old Dominican has 4 years MLB experiences with the record of 5.04 ERA, 1.42 WHIP over 114.1 innings. Figaro also had 2 season in the NPB and 1 season win the KBO prior signing with Uni-Lions.
- Mike DeMark – 33-year-old spent majority of his career in the Padres/ Diamondbacks system peaking at AAA level. He spent 2016 season in the Atlantic League with impressive record of 35 Saves, 0.76 ERA, 0.69 WHIP over 47.2 innings. DeMark will take on the closer role for the Uni-Lions in the 2017 season.
Lamigo Monkeys foreign players
- Zack Segovia – 34 year old RHP played for the Lions back in 2015 with 6.16 ERA over 30.2 Innings as relief pitcher. Later that year he represented the USA national team in Premier12 tournament. Prior to his signing with the Monkeys, he spent early half of his 2016 season in the Mexican League with the result of 2.97 ERA, 1.22 WHIP over 39.1 IP. The Monkeys activated Segovia at the end of August 2016. Segovia finished the season with 4.11 ERA, 1.22 WHIP over 46 innings.
- Darin Downs – 32 year LHP, with 3 years of MLB experience as RP with combined records of 4.76 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 84 SO, 39 BB over 90.2 Innings. Downs was signed by Uni-Lions in 2016 where he went 6.75 ERA, 1.85 WHIP over 52 innings. There’s rumour that Monkeys was going to sign Downs in 2016 but lost the contract to Lions.
- Zeke Spruill – 27-year-old RHP was the 2nd round pick in 2008 by the Braves. He spent 2013~2014 season with the Diamondbacks with the record of 4.24 ERA, 1.55 WHIP over 34 innings. In 2016, Spruill pitched for the KIA Tigers in South Korea with 5.27 ERA, 1.68 WHIP over 152 innings.
- [Farm Team] Ken Ray – 42-year-old RHP has returned to Lamigo Monkeys for the 5th times in his career. Ray has won the ERA title back in 2011. And posted a record of 2.17 ERA, 1.20 WHIP over 103.2 inning in 2014.
Chinatrust Brothers foreign players
- Bryan Woodall – This will be Woodall’s 3rd season with the Brothers. The RHP previously pitched for Brothers in 2015 season with 3.45 ERA, 1.30 WHIP over 73 IP. In 2016 he posted a record of 3.93 ERA, 1.29 WHIP over 89.1 innings.
- Bruce Kern – 28-year old RHP was drafted by the Rockies in 2010 made it to high A within the organisation back in 2014. He was signed out of Atlantic League with the 2016 records of 4W, 1L, 2.17ERA, 1.25WHIP over 62.1 innings. Kern was released by the Brother after 2 starts. Where he left with the record of 11.37 ERA, 2.21 WHIP over 6.1 innings.
- Orlando Roman – 38-year-old RHP pitched for Lamigo Monkeys in 2016 with the record of 12W, 7L, 4.64 ERA, 1.43 WHIP over 157 innings with the ERA+ of 128. After the 2016 CPBL season, Roman ends up pitching for team Puerto Rico in the Caribbean Series and also the 2017 WBC tournament.
- [Contract bought by KBO]
Nick Additon – 28-year old LHP was drafted by Cardinals back in 2006. Prior coming to Taiwan, Additon was pitching for the Orioles AAA team as a SP with 13 starts under his belt this year with the records of 3.81ERA, 1.357WHIP, 50K, 25BB over 80IP. In 2016 Additon went 4.30 ERA, 1.46 WHIP over 37.2 innings with the Brothers.
Kyle Simon – The RHP was drafted by the Orioles in 2011. Simon spent his 2016 in the Atlantic League with 2.77 ERA, 1.13 WHIP over 120.1 innings. Simon was released by Brothers merely a day after his signing after the media found out Simon hasn’t finish serving his 50-games suspension issued by the MLB.
Can confirm Jonathan Albaladejo hasn’t been contacted
Cheers for the tip on Albaladejo. Would be interesting to see how they going to bring in and who’s getting the cut.