Managers in CPBL tend to have very short shelf life due to organisations expectation on seeing the results instantly, typically a manager would normally last about 2-3 season before either getting fired or move-on to another role within the organisation.
However, that’s not the case for Lamigo Monkeys’ skipper 洪一中 (Hong I-Chung), as the 56-year-old manager has notched his 700th career win last night. This is the 13th season for Hong as the manager of the Lamigo Monkeys/ La New Bears organisation.
Story about Hong I-Chung
After 13 seasons, 1093 games as the primary catcher for Brother Elephants and FALA (Hong I-Chung first CPBL at bat as Brother Elephants in 1990 CPBL opener). The recently retired Hong joined the La New Bears as the bullpen coach in 2004 and took over the helm as the manager mid-season from Ohta Takuji.
13 seasons and 4 championship later, Hong has reached the 700 wins milestone and is now 16 wins shy from setting the CPBL record as the manager with the most wins. The current CPBL record 715 wins is set by the late Dragons/Bulls/Rhinos skipper 徐生明 (Hsu Sheng-Ming) who pass away from a sudden heart attack in 2013.
Taiwan Series Record
- 2006 – 1st Taiwan Series for the franchise (4-0 Uni-Lions)
- 2007 – Runner up in Taiwan Series Champion (3-4 Uni-Lions)
- 2011 – Runner up in Taiwan Series Champion (1-4 Uni-Lions)
- 2012 – 2nd Taiwan Series Champion (4-1 Uni-Lions)
- 2014 – 3rd Taiwan Series Champion (4-1 Chinatrust Brothers)
- 2015 – 4th Taiwan Series Champion (4-3 Chinatrust Brothers)
Milestone as manager
- 1st win – 2004/6/19
- 100th win – 2006/7/12
- 200th win – 2008/5/07
- 300th win – 2011/3/26
- 400th win – 2012/8/04
- 500th win – 2014/4/24
- 600th win – 2015/8/25
- 700th win – 2017/5/21