CPBL Foreign Players Updates Volume #200
Fubon Guardians News: Xavier Batista
It is not a secret the Fubon Guardians are planning to use foreign hitters in their lineup. On November 15, the Guardians team owner told the media they are likely to sign two foreign position players next year, and it is already in the process.
On December 19, Yahoo Sports columnist Wang Yi-Hsuan revealed that the Fubon Guardians are targeting Xavier Batista as their foreign position player for the 2022 CPBL season.
The 29-year-old Dominican outfielder / first baseman was active in the NPB between 2016 to 2019 with the Hiroshima Toyo Carp. During his time in Japan, he compiled a .257/.333/.532 slash line with 62 home runs.
In 2021, he spent his time in the Mexican League. He posted a .930 OPS with 19 home runs with the Bravos de León and Sultanes de Monterrey.
As of today, Fubon Guardians have not confirmed nor denied this rumour.
Update: January 3
Fubon Guardians’ general manager have confirmed the signing of Xavier Batista.
¡Bombazo de Xavier Batista y el juego es para @NacimosBravos!
Palo de vuelta entera número 1️⃣8️⃣ (líder en solitario de la LMB) en la campaña para el dominicano 🇩🇴⚾👊 pic.twitter.com/8zO2MMoazG
— Liga Mexicana de Beisbol (@LigaMexBeis) July 28, 2021
Foreign players come and goes, therefore we compiled a foreign players tracker to keep track of all the foreign players signing for the 2022 CPBL season.
Xavier Batista got drummed out of NPB for testing positive for PEDs. CPBL teams seem pretty strict about that kind of stuff.
I believe he already served his NPB suspension. The CPBL’s stance on foreign players with PED history is they will try to do their best to “respect” other league’s suspension.
So we will see how this case is going to pan out. I give it 98% chance okay, and 2% chance maybe the league will void his contract due to his PED record.
That would be a great move for the Guardians if it comes to fruition, I would wonder if the Kia Tigers would be targeting Bautista to replace Preston Tucker as their foreign hitter for 2022.
I think KIA can probably afford better foreign player with their budget. Or I guess more options for them in a way.