English Roster for 2017 CPBL Season.
Useful Articles for 2017 CPBL Season.
- Quick guide to 2017 1st-half season.
- 2017 power ranking & players you need to know.
- Foreign players update volume 22.
- 2017 streaming guide
CPBL Brief History
CPBL was established in 1990 with a 4 teams structure, after several expansions in 1997 Taiwan reached record high of 11 active teams. However, due to a string of game-fixing scandals CPBL is now reduced down to 4 teams since 2009.
Each team plays 120 games with 60 games each in the first- and second-half season. The half-season winner is eligible to advance to post-season.
Post-Season: Best-of-Five (Wild Card)
- If a non-half-season winner team have the highest overall winning percentage than any other half-season winner, then this team gains a wild card status and is eligible to play in the Playoff Series against the half-season winner with lower winner percentage.
- If the same team clinches both first- and second-half seasons, then the Playoff Series would be staged for teams with overall 2nd and 3rd winning percentage.
- The winning team will advance to the Taiwan Series.
Taiwan Series: Best-of-Seven
The winner of each half-season will play a best-of-seven series in the Taiwan Series. If the same team clinches both first- and second-half seasons, then this team is awarded one win to start the Taiwan Series and will play against the winner from the wild card series.
Each team is allowed to carry a 26-man active roster, including foreign players. Each team is allowed to register three foreign players on their active roster and play two simultaneously on the field.
One draft is held at the end of every year for amateur players as well as military reserve players.
August 31st is the trade deadline and the last day to register foreign players for the remaining of the season. Local players acquired after the trade deadline through waiver are not eligible to play in the post-season games.
The FA system was implemented in the 2010 season. Players with 9 years of service will be granted free agency. Players with 3 years of service will be granted eligible for international free agency status with consent of the player’s club.