CPBL Revises Pace of Play Rules: 2022 Edition
On February 22, the CPBL took another step at improving the overall pace of play. It would appear the league will finally address this ongoing issue with proper enforcement.
In order to reduce the average game time, the league will install an actual pitch clock (timer) behind home plate this season. According to the CPBL, it will be at each team’s main home stadium.
- Brothers – Taichung Intercontinental Stadium
- Uni-Lions – Tainan Municipal Stadium
- Monkeys – Taoyuan International Stadium
- Guardians – Xinzhuang Stadium
- Dragons – Taipei Tianmu Stadium and Hsinchu Stadium
Apart from adding the pitch clock, the league also made some adjustments to the current pace of play rules, which has been around since 2006 (15 seconds) and later revised again in 2017 (12 seconds).
From 2022 onward, a 20-second pitch clock will begin when the catcher returns the ball to the pitcher.
If the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher must throw the ball within 20 seconds. As for the batter, they must enter the batter’s box within the first 10 seconds of the 20-second pitch clock.
Players that fail to comply will be given a warning. After that, it will be an automatic ball against the pitcher or a strike against the batter.
League: There is no problem with the pace of play. #CPBL pic.twitter.com/gtJKXehzaT
— CPBL STATS (@GOCPBL) August 27, 2020
Old Pace of Play Rule: 2017 Edition
Here is the previous pace of play rule from the 2017 season.
A 12-second countdown will start when the pitcher has the ball with the batter inside the batter’s box. If the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher must throw the ball within 12 seconds.
2021 CPBL Average Game Time
In 2021, the average time to complete a CPBL game was 3 hours and 27 minutes. Below is each team’s average time from 2021. (Data compiled by carhow)
- Dragons – 3 hours and 21 minutes
- Uni-Lions – 3 hours and 24 minutes
- Guardians – 3 hours and 26 minutes
- Brothers – 3 hours and 29 minutes
- Monkeys – 3 hours and 34 minutes
While we are at this, here are the average game time per matchup from 2021.
- Guardians, Dragons – 3 hours and 17 minutes
- Brothers, Dragons – 3 hours and 17 minutes
- Guardians, Uni-Lions – 3 hours and 18 minutes
- Uni-Lions, Dragons – 3 hours and 21 minutes
- Uni-Lions, Monkeys – 3 hours and 25 minutes
- Monkeys, Dragons – 3 hours and 27 minutes
- Brothers, Guardians – 3 hours and 28 minutes
- Brothers, Uni-Lions – 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Brothers, Monkeys – 3 hours and 41 minutes
- Guardians, Monkeys – 3 hours and 42 minutes
Here's the video of Rakuten Monkeys' statue 黃子鵬 (Huang Tzu-Peng) taking his time throwing a pitch. #CPBL 👎⏱️ https://t.co/jSYPo1TNeZ pic.twitter.com/CBHElFrXeI
— CPBL STATS ♥️ #95 (@GOCPBL) May 16, 2020