It is a special night at the Taichung Intercontinental Baseball Stadium. The Chinatrust Brothers’ left-handed pitcher Nick Additon has become the eighth player in 29 years of CPBL history to throw a no-hitter.
Despite walking six batters, Additon was able to suppressed the Uni-Lions’ lineup and finished the full nine innings with seven strikeouts over 132 pitches.
— CPBL STATS (@GOCPBL) June 9, 2018
Tonight’s Hero: Nick Additon
“In this league, we always face the same teams over and over again. Last time the Uni-Lions had me, but tonight, it’s a great win for me. Our defense was amazing and my catcher and I were in-sync all night,” said Nick Additon in the post game interview.
Coming into tonight’s game, Additon has a 4.43 ERA and 1.49 WHIP over 61 innings. But after tonight’s stellar performance, he managed to lower that to a 3.86 ERA and 1.39 WHIP.
Where is the No-Hitter Ball?
A Brothers fans in the the outfield captured this on video. After recording the final out in the bottom of the 9th at the warning track, The Brothers’ outfielder 陳子豪 (Chen Tzu-Hao) accidently tossed away the no-hitter ball.
Chen and fellow outfielder 張志豪 (Chang Chih-Hao) ended up having to scaled over the outfield wall and retrieved the ball before joining the celebration at the mound.
#CTBros 陳子豪 (Chen Tzu-Hao) accidently tossed away Nick Additon's no-hitter ball after making the final out. 😱 Him and 張志豪 (Chang Chih-Hao) had to scaled over the outfield wall to find the ball and return to Additon. #CPBL (📹via https://t.co/mMNiGRTnoF) pic.twitter.com/OtI4TcFQ9t
— CPBL STATS ♥️ #95 (@GOCPBL) June 10, 2018
Previous Eight No-Hitter Games in the CPBL
- 1991 July 19: Wei Chuan Dragon vs Tigers, 陽介仁 (Yang Jie-Ren), 104 pitches, 3 walks.
- 1992 May 21: Brother Elephants vs Dragons, Ravelo Manzanillo, 126 pitches, 5 walks.
- 1997 May 8: Sinon Bulls vs Tigers, Mark Kiefer, 100 pitches, 1 walk.
- 1998 March 1: Sinon Bulls vs Elephants, Alvin Brown, 111 pitches, 1 walk.
- 1999 May 13: Uni-Lions vs Dragons, 曹竣崵 (Tsao Chun-Yang), 107 pitches, 1 walk.
- 2008 July 10: Uni-Lions vs Whales, 潘威倫 (Pan Wei-Lun), 113 pitches, no walk.
- 2015 October 25: Lamigo Monkeys vs Brothers, Pat Misch, 99 pitches, 1 walk.
- 2018 June 9: Chinatrust Brothers vs Uni-Lions, Nick Additon, 132 pitches, 6 walks.
Fun Facts About CPBL No-Hitter Games
- 2015 no-hitter was at the Game Seven of the Taiwan Series. It is the only no-hitter in the CPBL history that happened in the post season.
- 2008 no-hitter was very close to be a perfect game. But the Uni-Lions first baseman made an error in the first inning.
- Eight no-hitter games in 29 years of CPBL history. Three games by Taiwanese pitchers and five games by foreign pitchers.
- Most pitches no-hitter: Nick Additon in 2018 with 132 pitches.
- Least pitches no-hitter: Pat Misch in 2015 with 99 pitches.
- Most strikeouts no-hitter: 曹竣崵 (Tsao Chun-Yang) in 1999 with 12 strikeouts.
- Least strikeouts no-hitter: 陽介仁 (Yang Jie-Ren) in 1991 with 3 strikeouts.
- Most walks no-hitter: Nick Additon in 2018 with 6 walks.
- Least walks no-hitter: 潘威倫 (Pan Wei-Lun) with no walks.